In 2009, Steve moved to Boise with his wife and law partner, Jaren, after working at Schiff Hardin, a major Chicago law firm. Since then, he has worked in many different areas of business law, including corporate, e-commerce, trademark, real property, and sales of goods and equipment. Steve also helped found the first law firm practice group devoted solely to Idaho’s exploding wine, beer, and liquor industry.
At Mooney Wieland Smith & Rose, Steve assists clients in building and protecting their businesses, and defending their brands, ideas, and trademarks. He also represents clients involved in legal disputes and court litigation.
Outside the office, Steve loves to backpack, white-water raft, snowboard, and read. In addition, Steve spends much of his free time at Arbor Crossfit, where he is also an off-and-on trainer.
- Off-Spec Solutions, LLC v. H.J. Heinz Co., U.S. District of Idaho, Case No. 1:16-cv-00123-REB, 2017 WL 1193724 (Mar. 29, 2017)
- Rivera v. USA Cycling, Inc., AAA Case No. 01-16-0002-6302 (July 27, 2016)
- Akers v. Mortensen, 160 Idaho 286, 371 P.3d 340 (2016)
- “Don’t Let the TTAB Decide Your Next Infringement Dispute,” The Advocate (2015)
- “Why Idaho Should Ease Retail Limits on Breweries,” Idaho Business Insider (2015)
- Gambling, Greyhounds, and Gay Marriage, 94 IOWA L. REV. 413 (2009) cited in Varnum v. Brien, 763 N.W.2d 862 (Iowa 2009)
B.A. (Cum Laude), Cornell College
J.D. (Magna Cum Laude), University of Iowa
2011-2015, Hawley Troxell Ennis & Hawley LLP, Boise, ID
2009-2011, Idaho Supreme Court, Boise, ID
2008, Schiff Hardin LLP, Chicago, IL
2007, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, Cedar Rapids, IA
Admitted to practice in Idaho.